Adirondack chairs are made from several different materials – teak wood, aluminum, High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE) lumber, injection-molded plastic, and more – but the most popular are those that are made from wood and plastic.
Which material is the best, anyway?
If you are currently planning to purchase a set of the Adirondack chair for your patio or backyard but unable to decide whether to choose plastic-made or wooden Adirondack, it is time to uncover which material is the best. For more information, you can check The Patio Chair’s website too.
The PROS and CONS
The following are the detailed Pros and Cons of PLASTIC Adirondack Chairs:
- Plastic Adirondack chairs are significantly cheaper than the wooden chairs.
- These chairs are much lighter and easy to transport than wooden Adirondack chairs.
- Easy to maintain; all you need to do is clean the chairs using liquid cleaner and a damp cloth.
- Although lightweight is an advantage, lightweight plastic Adirondack chairs are at a disadvantage too, especially when there is a storm or strong wind.
- Even if most of the plastic Adirondack chairs are purposely made as outdoor furniture, the color of the chair easily fades away over time due to frequent exposure to extreme sun, rain, and storm.
- Plastic-made chairs are prone to oxidation caused by frequent exposure to sun and air, leading to the chair’s overall damage.
- A plastic Adirondack chair that is frequently exposed to the sun can cause the plastic to become brittle over time, leading to snapping of the arm, legs, and even the back support.
- Plastic Adirondack chairs have weight limits compared to wooden-made Adirondack.
The following are the Pros and Cons of Wooden Adirondack chairs:
- Stylish and can blend in whatever patio or backyard design you have. Also, even without any paint, wooden Adirondack chairs look classy and timeless.
- Very durable and stable; especially, Adirondack chairs that are made from teak wood, lumber, and other hardwoods.
- Quality plays a lot with wooden Adirondack chairs. It is hard to find wooden chairs that are easily breakable.
- Wood Adirondack chairs can withstand extreme sunlight, rain, and even storm. Plus, if you choose to purchase wooden Adirondack chairs from high-quality wood it is guaranteed that it’ll survive whatever weather conditions for the next 5-10 years, as long as it is properly maintained.
- It adds value to your property.
- It can accommodate weight at a maximum of 400-500 lbs., depending on the size and style of the wooden Adirondack chairs.
- Most of the wooden Adirondack chairs are not portable because of their weight.
- Needs maintenance; specifically refurnishing or repainting, once or twice each year.
If you try to compare the two materials; a wooden Adirondack chair is cost-efficient. Although the Adirondack that is made from wood is quite expensive and requires maintenance each year, it is still cost-efficient than replacing the old plastic Adirondack chair with a new one every year or whenever damaged due to storm.
So, if you want timeless and stylish Adirondack chairs for your patio, you should consider those that are made from high-quality wood.